Explore Data Science
Advance your technical skills and use data to solve real-world problems with a graduate data science certificate. This multidisciplinary program teaches students how to capture, maintain, process, analyze, and communicate information. Learn how to design and query databases, create and use scripts, visualize data, evaluate machine learning models, and examine uses for artificial intelligence to gain insight and resolve issues in the in-demand field of data science.
This graduate certificate can be taken as a stand-alone credential, or embedded in Champlain’s novel online master’s in information technology, should you wish to continue your education and earn a master’s degree.
Build Your Career Future
We understand how important it is for busy working adults to gain knowledge and expertise quickly, which is why our data science online courses are applicable to the workplace from day one. Whether you’re upskilling your data science undergraduate degree knowledge or you're currently pursuing your master’s degree, advancing your expertise with an online graduate certificate in data science is a great way to earn a credential in the field, get your resume noticed, and demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of knowledge.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Designated as a Military Friendly School for our commitment to the military community
Named the among the best schools with accelerated bachelor's degrees by Intelligent.com
Accomplish More With a Graduate Certificate in Data Science
Computer and information technology occupations are projected to grow 11% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all new occupations.*
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2020
Top Reasons To Earn A Graduate Certificate
- Climb the career ladder
- Build new skills
- Earn a recognized credential
- Differentiate your resume
- Test a new field
- Pursue a passion
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online data science graduate certificate, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online data science courses encompass the top skills needed by today's IT professionals.
Previous coursework and/or experience in Information Technology (IT) and/or InformationSecurity (IS) is required for admission to the program. Students who are unable to demonstrate prior acquisition of knowledge and skills related to IT will be required to complete CMIT-500 before beginning the required program courses.
Required Courses (15 credits)
In this course students learn to differentiate relational and non-relational databases, and to design a database to an organization's requirements. Preparing raw data for import into a database, using queries to manipulate data, and developing reports to meet stakeholder needs, and database integrity and security are also covered.
Students learn to create and use scripts to access, acquire, prepare, and transform data, including structured and semi-structured data, and to define and detect patterns in unstructured data to demonstrate how real world problems can be answered with data.
In this course students learn about deep learning, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, and compare supervised and unsupervised learning. Machine learning workflows and the challenges associated with machine learning, such as bias and heteroscedasticity, are considered. Students evaluate models, and examine uses for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Natural Language Processing is also addressed.
In this course students learn about different types of data and methods of visualization so they can select appropriate visualization techniques, and prepare and visualize data for specific audience(s). The role of human perception and its impact on the design and communication of graphical representations of information is also examined.
In this course students learn about data types and how to perform pre-processing activities including cleaning, integration, reduction, and transformation. Use of appropriate techniques to analyze and model data, such as classification, decision trees, association rules, and clustering, and the causes and methods of detecting outliers are also covered. Students propose additional applications for data mining based on current trends/research.
Graduates of the data science online graduate certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Design a database and develop reports to meet stakeholder requirements, and use queries to manipulate data while acknowledging the need to maintain data integrity and security.
- Create and use scripts to access, acquire, prepare, and transform structured and semi-structured data, and to define and detect patterns in unstructured data to demonstrate how data can contribute to solving real-world problems.
- Select appropriate visualization techniques, and prepare and visualize data for specific audience(s), taking human perception into consideration in the design and communication of graphical representations of information.
- Perform pre-processing activities including cleaning, integration, reduction, and transformation, use appropriate techniques to analyze and model data, and propose additional applications for data mining based on current trends/research.
- Compare supervised and unsupervised learning, explain machine learning workflows and challenges, evaluate models, and examine uses for machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Champlain College Online's IT faculty are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our graduate curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s information technology professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the field and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online students and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Online Graduate Tuition Fall '22 - Summer '23
*Based on a 3-credit course; cost will vary if course is a different number of credits
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.