Explore Employment Law
Gain the confidence you need to guide the strategic and tactical management of an organization's talent in an increasingly global, and diverse environment through a graduate certificate in employment law.
This certificate may be taken as a stand-alone program, or embedded in Champlain's online MBA or master's in human relations and organization development programs.
Build Your Career Future
As the business world becomes increasingly complex, today's business professionals must have an agile skillset. These new business professionals must be nimble and approach challenges with a systems-thinking mindset and, increasingly, must have a focused area of specialization.
A graduate certificate is a great way to highlight these in-demand skills and showcase subject matter expertise, while as well as gain knowledge that can be applied to your workplace from day one.
Fast Start Formula Career Bundle
Propel your career even further by upgrading your certificate with our Fast Start Formula Career Bundle designed to get you noticed and get you hired. Gain access to the Fast Start Formula Career Course, the Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook, live webinars with "hot seat" coaching by Executive Career Coach Jen Morris and a one-year membership to the leading job search website for remote and flexible jobs, Flex Jobs.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Designated as a Military Friendly School for our commitment to the military community
Named the Best Private Online College by Intelligent.com
Accomplish More with a Graduate Certificate in Employment Law
Business occupations are expected to grow 8% from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average growth for all fields, as a result of an increasingly complex global business landscape. The median annual wage for these roles is $72,250.*
A specialized certificate can help you build new skills, differentiate your resume, and demonstrate your value as an employee in your current organization.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2020
Top Reasons to Earn a Graduate Certificate
- Climb the career ladder
- Build new skills
- Earn a recognized credential
- Differentiate your resume
- Test a new field
- Pursue a passion
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online employment law graduate certificate, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online employment law courses encompass the top skills needed by today's employment law professionals.
Required Courses (12 Credits):
This course offers an overview of fundamental areas of employment law. Topics include job discrimination and related laws, labor law and labor relations, plant and job safety, public officers and employees, employee contracts, self-employment, Americans with Disabilities Act, Equal Employment Opportunity Act, non-competition agreements, workers' compensation, unemployment obligations, and personnel issues such as drug testing, lie detectors, whistle-blowing, and wrongful discharge.
Students will examine the various laws prohibiting discrimination in the workplace, with a focus on federal statutes and regulations. Topics include liability under Title VII, ADA, ADEA, and the FMLA. Students will consider workplace discrimination related to race, sex, religion, national origin, physical disability, age, and sexual orientation. The students will also learn about how complaints are filed with and investigated by the EEOC, with a detailed discussion on how the employer is required to respond to these complaints
Students will examine the decisions and statutes relating to the rights of workers to organize, the collective bargaining process, legal issues related to strikes, boycotts, and picketing, and the role of individual rights within unions. Students will also examine the structure, mission, and procedures of the National Labor Relations Board, the distinction between NLRB decisions and court decisions, and the relationship between the two.
Students will examine the laws that regulate how employees should be hired, fired, promoted, disciplined, or evaluated in unionized and nonunionized environments. It explores the steps an employer should take to avoid allegations of discrimination during the hiring, firing, or disciplinary process. The course also examines the legal limits on monitoring an employee's email, computer usage, and outside activities (including social media) and examines the legal limits on drug testing employees and checking an employee's criminal, credit, and medical background.
Graduates of the employment law online graduate certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Select appropriate strategies for dispute resolution within and between organizations.
- Manage employment and labor obligations under state and federal regulations.
- Evaluate employment and labor agreements and analyze provisions therein that help protect your organization's legal interests and achieve its business goals.
- Appraise the ethical implications in opportunities and choices, and make ethical decisions in the face of countervailing pressures.
- Protect the privacy of records in the care of an organization and comply with appropriate exceptions required by law.
- Manage employment and labor risks to avoid legal liability, and react productively in the case of an accident or claim.
Champlain College Online's business faculty, led by Program Director Dr. Linda Miller, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our employment law curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s business professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the field and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online certificate students for only $162 and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Membership to Flex Jobs (12-months): As the leading resource for finding remote and flexible work, Flex Jobs helps people find professional remote and flexible jobs in 50+ career fields, entry-level to executive, part-time to full-time, in the U.S. and around the world. Every job and company is researched for you to help you decide if you want to apply. Flex Jobs also offers great resources and tools like resume reviews and live customer support so you can land the remote or flexible job you want.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
From Our Blog
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.