Complete MATH-180 and CMIT-135
Explore Data Science
Learn how to work with Big Data to gain insight and solve problems, and enter the in-demand data science field with a credential employers will respect with Champlain's online data science certificate.
Build Your Career Future
We understand how important it is for busy working adults to gain knowledge and expertise quickly, which is why our data science certificate coursework is applicable to the workplace from day one. Whether you've already earned an undergraduate degree or you're currently pursuing your bachelor's degree, an online data science certificate is a great way to earn a credential in the field, get your resume noticed, and demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of knowledge.
Fast Start Formula Career Bundle
Propel your career even further by upgrading your certificate with our Fast Start Formula Career Bundle designed to get you noticed and get you hired. Gain access to the Fast Start Formula Career Course, the Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook, live webinars with "hot seat" coaching by Executive Career Coach Jen Morris and a one-year membership to the leading job search website for remote and flexible jobs, Flex Jobs.
Academic Excellence and Recognition
Regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report
Designated as a Military Friendly School for our commitment to the military community
Named the Best Private Online College by Intelligent.com
Gain New Skills With a Certificate
Computer and information technology occupations are projected to grow 13% from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all new occupations.*
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 2020
Top Reasons To Pursue a Certificate
- Enter a new field
- Build new skills
- Gain knowledge on your way toward a degree
- Differentiate your resume
- Earn a credential
- Demonstrate proficiency in a focused area of learning
Learn more about Champlain's 100% online data science undergraduate certificate, designed for working professionals.
Champlain's online data science courses encompass the top skills needed by today's IT professionals.
Required Courses (18 Credits):
Accurate and appropriate visual data representation is increasingly critical in today's work environments. Students will develop skills in data organization, manipulation and interpretation in a way that supports data-driven decision-making and effective communication of numerical data
From day one, students in this course are problem solving, first in terms of algorithmic design and then as early as week two via programming in the latest version of Python, using PyCharm. Students begin by writing a program to have a conversation, having strings and numbers as input, and advance, by week seven, to building a working password saver program, capable of looking up, adding (and encrypting), and storing passwords.
Data analysis is a challenging, interdisciplinary process that requires an understanding of how data is generated, analyzed, interpreted, and presented. In this course students explore introductory data analysis techniques using relevant languages and tools to extract meaning from data to produce and inform solutions.
Python is a programming language with broad appeal because of its accessibility, community, sponsorship and utility. In this course students learn additional Python programming concepts and further develop their skills. Students progress from lists and basic structures to Object Oriented Programming, including objects, classes, encapsulation, abstraction modularity, memory management, inheritance and polymorphism. Students also learn advanced Python language features such as iterators and generators, along with error and exception handling.
Advanced data analysis requires data to be retrieved, sorted, filtered, and more using relevant languages and tools. In this course students explore advanced data analysis techniques such as joining and manipulating tables, and constructing queries and sub-queries. Students also learn to evaluate the results and quality of analyses, and communicate outcomes effectively.
Complete DATA-200 and CMIT-235
Data mining is a multidisciplinary field focused on discovering patterns and associations in data. In this course students gain proficiency in supervised data mining techniques for building prediction models including decision trees, random decision forests, bootstrapping, training and testing using multi-fold cross validation and using entropy measures for weighting features. Students also learn to use unsupervised data mining techniques such as clustering and association analysis.
Graduates of the undergraduate-level online data science certificate program will demonstrate the following industry-specific skills, knowledge, and competencies:
- Analyze, design, implement, and test Python applications developed to a coding standard and/or industry best practices.
- Generate, collect, store, clean, transform, and manipulate data.
- Analyze data using multiple methods, languages, and tools to extract meaning from data and formulate problem-specific solutions.
- Organize data-driven results, and appropriately and effectively present solutions.
- Differentiate supervised and unsupervised learning methods, and use prediction and clustering algorithms and association analysis to discover patterns and associations in data.
Students who have earned the CISSP Certification are eligible for transfer credits toward this certificate. Please speak to an admission representative or your academic advisor for details.
Champlain College Online's data science faculty, led by Cybersecurity Program Chair Kathleen Hyde, MCIS, MBA, are expert practitioners in the field. Their industry expertise ensures that our curriculum is aligned with the needs of employers, and reflects the skills today’s IT professionals need for success. Classes led by our seasoned experts will give you real-world insight into the world of information technology, and create a rich community of career-focused learning.
Many certificate students come to us seeking ways to get noticed at their current employers or to get hired in a new field. Given that, we are hyper focused on increasing the career mobility of our students and that's why we developed the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle, a suite of career offerings designed to help our students get noticed, get hired and land jobs they'll love.
Valued at over $1,000, the career bundle is offered to Champlain College Online certificate students for only $162 and includes:
- Fast Start Formula Course: The Fast Start Formula Course for getting noticed and getting hired is taught by Jen Morris, an executive career coach that we've developed a partnership with to support our students in their job search journeys. This course is online, self-paced and full of tips and tricks to land a job you'll love.
- Live Webinars: Log-on to ask your specific job search questions, get live “hot seat” coaching and gain valuable insights from leading career coach, Jen Morris.
- Membership to Flex Jobs (12-months): As the leading resource for finding remote and flexible work, Flex Jobs helps people find professional remote and flexible jobs in 50+ career fields, entry-level to executive, part-time to full-time, in the U.S. and around the world. Every job and company is researched for you to help you decide if you want to apply. Flex Jobs also offers great resources and tools like resume reviews and live customer support so you can land the remote or flexible job you want.
- Landing A Job You'll Love Ebook: Download this ebook full of tips and tricks for standing out from the competition. From how to optimize your LinkedIn profile, to insider information on how recruiters work and bypassing the automated application websites, you’ll be sure to learn how rise to the top.
Upon enrollment in a degree or certificate, your access to the Fast Start Formula Career Bundle will made available to you.
Tuition & Costs
Continuing your education is an investment in your future. Learn more about our affordable tuition rates.
Download Online Experience Guide
Learn what you can expect from your online experience at Champlain College Online
Download Online Learning Experience Guide
Champlain College will not share or sell personal information. Submitting this form constitutes your express written consent to agree to receive e-mails, texts, and phone messages from Champlain College at the phone number(s) and email address provided in this form.